Five Reasons to Become a Tutor in a DC School
Have you been wanting to volunteer in DC but are unsure of how to get started? Tutoring a DC student can help you make a real difference in their life and the entire community. Organizations throughout DC are recruiting tutors to supplement what educators are teaching in classrooms, and CityTutor DC wants to help match you with one of these organizations!
Tutoring is a proven method to improve students’ academic performance and help them feel equipped with the knowledge they need to excel inside of the classroom and in life. If you’re still on the fence about it, check out five reasons why you should volunteer as a tutor in DC.
- Connect with students: You will be paired with an elementary or middle school student (or even a small group of them) and have the opportunity to form bonds that will keep you coming back every week. You’ll quickly see how students can make an impact in your life as well.
- Engage with your community: You will meet students, educators, volunteers, and community leaders throughout the area who are also passionate about making a difference.
- Use your knowledge: Miss your geometry class? Not really using that English degree? Tutoring provides an opportunity for you to put that high school or college diploma to use.
- Support the future of DC…from the comfort of your home: CityTutor DC partners offer both virtual and in-person tutoring options, making tutoring a convenient and flexible way to impact the next generation of leaders in DC.
- Gain new skills: You will receive training on how to tutor students and partner with educators to learn how to teach their curriculum, with a special emphasis on catering to each individual student’s needs.
The last year and a half has been tough on us all, but especially our students. Your work as a tutor will bring back the human connection, attention, and support needed to help students accelerate academically and socially.
Learn more about how to volunteer as a tutor in DC: